Android 5.0 Lollipop was recently announced by Google and Google has uploaded the Android 5.0 Lollipop Source Code to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and as a result developers has started building Custom ROM’s based on Android 5.0 Lollipop. As the Android 5.0 Lollipop update is still in process for many devices, it might reach your device within weeks or months and some devices might not event get this update, so in that situation we must depend on Custom ROM’s to update our devices. And here in this tutorial we will guide you on how to update Xperia Z to Android 5.0 Lollipop using AOSP ROM.
Before we proceed to update Xperia Z to Android 5.0 Lollipop we must follow some set of instructions to prepare Xperia Z and also to avoid any interruption in between the update or installation process.
- Backup all the important data stored on your device to a safe location, as installing custom ROM will wipe all of your data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure you are left with at least 70-75% of battery.
- Unlock Bootloader form here.
- Install USB Drivers suitable for your device from here.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible in any manner for any damage occurred to your Xperia Z. So understand the risk involved and proceed further at your own risk.
[box type=”download” ]
Android 5.0 Lollipop based ROM file
How to update Xperia Z to Android 5.0 Lollipop with AOSP ROM:
- Download the above two files from downloads section.
- Extract the ADB and Fastboot files to a folder.
- Now Extract the ROM files to the same folder, where adb and Fastboot files are present. After extracting the ROM file, you will get boot.img, system.img, userdata.img.
- Power off Xperia Z.
- Connect it to PC, while holding down the Volume Up button. Now the LED notification will turn blue, indicating that your device is in Fastboot mode.
- Now open the ADB and Fastboot folder and press and hold Shift key and right key anywhere inside the Fastboot folder at the empty space. Now from the list of options select open command window here.
- Now a Command Prompt will open, type the following commands in CMD and press Enter after each command:
[box type=”shadow” ]
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata.img
- Now type the following command to reboot your device:
[box type=”shadow” ]
- The first boot may take some time, so please be patience and let your device reboot automatically.
- The above ROM doesn’t include Google Apps, so you have to flash the Google Apps on your own from here. However we are not sure, whether this Google Apps package will work or not, it is worth to try.