Though the official version of Android 4.4.2 Kitkat is not yet available for the HTC Explorer, the users can update their device to Kitkat using Custom ROM’s. One such ROM is CM (CyanogenMod) 11, which will help you to update HTC Explorer to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware. To install this ROM make sure latest version of CWM (ClockWorkMod) Recovery or TWRP Recovery is flashed on your device. Old version of CWM and TWRP are never recommended.
This CM 11 ROM gives you better Kitkat experience and it also has the feature of Sweep2Wake, this can be used as your daily driver. So in my opinion this is the best custom ROM with Android Kitkat experience for HTC Explorer.
- Make a complete backup of your data to a safe location, as we are going to install the Custom ROM which will erase all of your data.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from the Developer Options.
- Charge your device to at least 80%, to avoid bricking of your device and is highly recommended.
- Make sure your device is rooted and latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery is installed.
Update HTC Explorer to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware using CM 11 Custom ROM:
2. Download the HTC USB Drivers from here and install on your PC.
3. Make sure Fastboot and ADB Drivers are configured on your PC. If not follow here.
4. Now Extract the ROM Package and look for boot.img either in kernel folder or main folder.
5. Copy this boot.img file in Fastboot folder.
6. Now copy and paste the zip files to the root of your SD card.
7. Power Off your device and enter into Bootloader / Fastboot mode, by pressing Volume Down + Power button at the same time until you see some text on screen.
8. Now open Command Prompt in PC and navigate to Fastboot folder. Alternatively you can press and Hold Shift Key and right click any where inside the Fastboot folder. Now select open command window here.
9. Now type the following commands in CMD: fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter.
10. Now type: fastboot reboot and press enter. This will reboot your device.
11. After reboot take out the battery and wait for 10 seconds and then insert the battery.
12. Now enter into Bootloader mode, by pressing and holding Power button + Volume down button, until you see some text on screen.
13. Now in Bootloader select Recovery.
14. In recover perform Wipe Cache and Wipe Data operations. Also clean / wipe dalvik cache from the advance options.
15. Now select Install zip from SD card and choose the CM 11 ROM Package and install it.
16. Now again select Install Zip from SD card and choose Google apps package and install the same.
17. Now Go Back and select reboot system now. Wait for the device to successfully reboot.
18. Once the device boots up, you are ready to have better Android 4.4.2 Kitkat experience on HTC Explorer.
That’s it now you have successfully learnt how to update HTC Explorer to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware with the help of CM 11 Custom ROM. Do like and share this post with your friends on Social networking sites and also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus.